Healthy lifestyle constitutes balanced diet, proper exercise and adequate rest. Health of the citizens is the wealth of the nation. But in current scenario, no one is completely healthy. This has happened due to the imbalance of the 3 important aspects of the health i.e., Diet, Exercise and Rest.
Diet: Our ancestors used to eat food that are grown in their own field, free from pesticides, insect, worms & contamination and also their diet is balanced in all aspects. Their diet was rich in protein. But today we eat food which is high in fat & sugar content. We prefer them since they are easy to cook. And even if we try to choose organic foods, they are expensive. Our usual diet lacks in protein, good fat, fiber, vitamins and minerals but only rich in simple carbohydrates (sugars), preservatives, salt and bad fat.
Exercise: In past, they were not doing any exercise intentionally, but their day to day routine itself had been the better physical activity. For example, farming, carrying heavy weight-cereal bags, water etc, walking long distance without the help of vehicles. Our current lifestyle is sedentary, where we don’t work enough to keep ourselves fit. Recent developments in technology had made children to spent their leisure time in playing videogames or sitting at Television and Computer. They stopped going out to play and thus the habit of physical exercise is not inculcated right from childhood and as they grow, they forget to spend time for fitness and end up in many disorders.
Rest:For proper functioning of mind and body, it is necessary for any individual to have 7-8 hours of sound sleep. Technology had made children sleepless at nights and as they grow in life, their stress grows along with them and this unhealthy combination had created unhealthy individuals with years of sleep deprivation. In another case, there are people who sleep more than 8 hrs, but not a good sound sleep. This kind of sleeping habit is also unhealthy and promotes disorders of its own kind. Unhealthy sleep results in whole metabolism changes, making you susceptible to many kinds of health issues in future.
In order to live a healthy lifestyle, a person must know to to balance all the above. There are some steps to keep you in the track of wellness.
- 1Eat fresh and home cooked foods.
- 2Include lot of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- 3Avoid eating ready to cook and eat foods.
- 4Eat at least 2 fruits a day
- 5Include all types of whole grains and cereals in your diet.
- 6If possible, go for organic foods.
- 7Allot one hour a day for exercise (minimum 5 days a week).
- 8Exercise may include playing any sport, swimming, yoga, brisk walking etc.
- 9Go to bed by 10pm and wake up by 6am.
- 10Avoid loud music and action movies before going to bed.
- 11Practice yoga and meditation.
- 12Relax yourself before you sleep.